This Better News piece profiles how Charlotte NPR station WFAE, a member of Cohort 1 of the UNC-Knight Foundation Table Stakes Newsroom Initiative, used a community podcast competition to diversify its audience.
The Queen City PodQuest is an opportunity for people in the WFAE listening area to pitch their podcast ideas and stories. WFAE leadership used the podcast to:
- Introduce WFAE to non-listeners and non-readers, and reposition WFAE for current listeners and readers as an organization that works in service of the community
- Establish WFAE as a podcast leader in the region
- Showcase WFAE as a multiplatform news organization
- Connect WFAE with more diverse audiences and the institutions that serve them
- Build WFAE’s reputation as a news organization that partners with its community to create collaborative storytelling opportunities and equips residents to tell their own stories.
Read more about the innovative podcast competition, sparked by the Table Stakes concepts of serving targeted audiences with targeted content, as well as driving audience growth and profitability from a mini-publisher perspective.