A couple months ago, we ran a story about a course in entrepreneurship and innovation taught in the Reese News Lab here at the UNC School of Media and Journalism. The course, “MEJO 463: Creating Tomorrow’s Products,” concluded last week when four groups of students presented their final product ideas to a panel of judges last Friday, December 1. The class was taught by Jeremy Gockel, who is the Director of Team Development and Intrapreneurship at McClatchy Company.
You can read the team’s pitches on the Reese News Lab projects page, or watch the videos below.
Thanks to the guest judges:
- Meg Eason: Contracts Counsel at McClatchy
- Michelle Germano: News Director at ABC 11 WTVD
- Derrick Ho: Senior Manager, Product Strategy at McClatchy
- Jenna Meints: Lead Director at Triangle Strategic & Financial Advising for Not-for-Profits, Inc.
- Jake Seaton: Digital Product Manager at WRAL.com
- Kelsey Van Dyke: Head of Content at Offline Media
Opening Remarks from Reese News Lab Director Ryan Thornburg and Jeremy Gockel
Pitch Group 1: Soundbite
A web and application platform where users can listen to, discuss and share their thoughts on their favorite local podcasts. View their pitch deck here.
Team members: Danielle Chemtob, Brianna Hales, Lilli Mercho and Grace Ricks
Pitch Group 2: BettrFly
Helping small businesses connect with local social media influencers at a price they can afford.
View their pitch deck here.
Team members: Megan Hollahan,Lʼerin Jensen, Veronica Ortega and Jackson Smith
Pitch Group 3: Sanctuary
This combination of bracelet and mobile app keeps students safe on campus.View their pitch deck here.
Team members: Colleen Brown, Jackson Cowart, Rashaan Ayesh and Courtney Symone