The DeWitt Wallace Center for Media & Democracy at Duke University and the Center for Sustainability and Innovation in Local Media at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill are accepting participation proposals for the 2023 Local Journalism Researchers’ Workshop, to be held February 16-17, 2023, at the UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media.
This event, organized with the support of the Democracy Fund, will bring together researchers across the academic, industry, non-profit, and government sectors whose work addresses contemporary issues confronting local journalism.
Specific topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Identification of new, successful modes for the production and delivery of local journalism
- Policy or regulatory proposals at the federal or state levels to strengthen local journalism
- The impact of local journalism on communities
- Structural inequalities in the production/availability of local journalism and how to address them
- Partnerships/collaborations to foster local journalism or local journalism research
- Ways to measure the sustainability and/or impact of local journalism
Interested participants should submit a participation proposal of no more than 500 words. This proposal can describe a particular research project to be presented at the workshop or a description of a key issue or challenge that the participant is engaged with and that is of relevance to local journalism researchers. The Participation Proposal should include brief biographical information about the participant.
The workshop organizers and funders are particularly interested in showcasing the work of early-career researchers and researchers from traditionally marginalized groups. Toward those ends, a limited number of $1,000 travel stipends will be available to out-of-town attendees representing traditionally marginalized groups or out-of-town attendees from under-resourced organizations. Submitters seeking to be considered for travel support should include a separate statement of no more than 250 words requesting travel support.
November 15: Submission deadline
December 15: Notification date
February 16-17: Workshop
Please submit your proposal here. Reach out to Jessica Mahone (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Phil Napoli (email@example.com) with any questions.